The GFWC Marlboro Junior Woman’s Club (MJWC) was formed in October, 1964 by Joanne Litster and a group of 14 women looking to perform community service work. They were admitted to the Massachusetts State Federation of Women’s Clubs and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1965. During the early years of the club the main beneficiaries of the club’s efforts were the newly established Marlboro Girls Club and the Sunshine Camp.
The Marlboro Public Library was also an early and frequent recipient of the club’s efforts. In 1967 the club presented the library with a film strip projector; in 1971 presented them with a check for $1500 to help purchase a concert piano; and for many years helped run the library’s Bookmobile. Since 1986 the club has donated a book for each baby born to a club member or to the child of a club member.
The Marlboro Juniors also sponsored the first Candidates Night held in the city on September 27, 1965 with six mayoral candidates and a total of 46 candidates in all attending!
Our fund raising efforts help us make donations to many local, state and national organizations including two scholarships for Marlborough High School seniors, the Boys and Girls Club, Marlboro All-Sports Booster Club, Children’s Trust Fund, CARE, MassSTAR leadership foundation, Operation Smile, Heifer International, as well as assisting city children with educational journeys to places such as Australia, China and England.
One of the distinctive characteristics of Junior Membership is embraced in the GFWC Motto: “Unity in Diversity” allowing for a diversity of programs and projects while working closely together in friendship and commitment.
Marlboro Juniors Through the Years